The minimum cut-off mark for admission into universities in Nigeria has been set at 120 down from the previous mark of 180 set last year.
The new cut-off mark was set on Tuesday August 22, 2017 by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, in collaboration with Vice Chancellors, Rectors and Provosts of higher institutions in the country during a stakeholders meeting which took place in Abuja.
In addition, a minimum mark of 100 has also been set for admission into polytechics in Nigeria.
Prof Ishaq Oloyede, the Registrar for JAMB has said while insitutuions are allowed to determine their individual cut-off marks, none of them is expected to go lower beyond the set marks when conducting the admission of students for programmes.
The Registrar said, “What JAMB has done is to recommend. We will only determine the minimum, whatever you determine as your admission cut-off mark is your decision.
“The Senate and academic boards of universities should be allowed to determine their cut-off marks.”
The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, while speaking at the meeting also cancelled the previous ban placed on the conduction of POST-UTME exams by the tertiary institutions.
According to the Minister, the ban caused a lot of irregularities. However, while he said the institutions were now free to conduct their Post-UTME exams, he also mentioned that the fee associated with such exams should not go beyond N2,000.